Very sad news out of Cleveland: Samaria Rice, Tamir Rice’s mother, has moved to a homeless shelter, citing emotional distress over living next to the “killing field” where 12-year old Tamir was shot and killed by a police officer while playing outside in November.
Meanwhile, the city’s investigation has stretched on, but to no avail and without answers. Reports the Washington Post:
In a court filing dated Monday, Rice’s family said they cannot agree to hold off on their lawsuit until the investigation is complete in part because they are worried that crucial evidence could be lost. In addition, they said, the elongated pace at which the investigation is moving is causing them sustained distress.
“The incident has shattered the life of the Rice family,” the motion stated.
Rice’s mother, the motion goes on to state, has moved into a homeless shelter.
“In particular, Samaria Rice, Tamir Rice’s mother, has since been forced to move to a homeless shelter because she could no longer live next door to the killing field of her son,” the motion said.
Additionally, the Rice family hasn’t been able to bury Tamir properly, pending the need for further medical investigation as the case continues.
The Rices’ attorney, Benjamin Crump, summed it up: “It is so sad that the face of police brutality in America is going to be the 12-year-old face of Tamir Rice.”
DONATE TO THE TAMIR RICE MEMORIAL FUND
On November 22, 2014, 12-year-old Tamir Rice was fatally shot and killed by a Cleveland, OH police officer while playing with a toy gun near the Cudell Recreation Center. In a 9-1-1 call prior to the Rice’s shooting, dispatchers were repeatedly told that the gun in question appeared to be a toy. Within seconds of police arrival, 12-year-old Tamir Rice would suffer a fatal gunshot wound, and later succumb to his injuries at MetroHealth Medical Center. This fund is established to assist the Rice family as they continue to seek justice for Tamir Rice.
Anyone wishing to send cards, letters of encouragement or contributions in the form of a check may do so by mail at:
The Estate of Tamir Rice
c/o Parks & Crump, LLC
240 N. Magnolia Drive
Tallahassee, FL 32301
All checks must be made out to The Rice Memorial Fund.
The Rice family also thanks all who previously contributed to their family through the generous efforts of community organizer, Shaun King.
Commonly asked questions:
1. Who you are: Adner Marcelin, Communications Manger & Law Clerk at Parks & Crump, LLC
2. Where you’re from? Tallahassee, FL
3. Your relationship to the parties you’re raising funds for? Legal office representing the family of Tamir Rice.
4. How the funds will be spent? Funds collected here will be spent by Mr. and Mrs. Rice to cover their needs as outlined above.
5. How you intend to get the funds to those in need? All funds collected on this website will be withdrawn to “the Rice Memorial Fund,” a bank account established by the parents of Tamir Rice. Anyone with further questions may contact their law office at 1(877) 529-9529.